- 1 lb. boneless lean pork shoulder butt, trimmed of fat
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. dark rum of orange juice
- 1 ½ tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- With a paring knife, pierce the pork all over; insert the garlic slices into the gashes, then rub the lime juice into the pork.
- Combine the rum, maple syrup and cayenne pepper in a medium-size bowl. Add the pork, turning to coat well. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours. Turn the pork occasionally in the marinade.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lift the pork from the marinade and place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast uncovered, brushing often with the marinade, for 20 minutes, lower the heat to 350°F and roast for another 20 minutes, brushing often with the remaining marinade.
- Let the roast stand for 10 minutes at room temperature before slicing.