- 1 400 to 600 gram milkfish (Bangus)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil, divided
- 1/3 cup finely chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons ginger, skinned and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 piece (15-20 grams) tahure, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons native vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
Tochong Bangus is a popular fish dish that make use of milkfish as its main ingredient. The fish is cooked with fermented tofu (soy cake) which gives the dish a distinct flavor.
Fresh Tahure is widely available in your local market, but if you can’t find it fresh, a canned option can is available.
How to cook Tochong Bangus
- Clean, gut and scale the milkfish then slice the fish into 1-inch steaks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry milkfish steaks until brown on both sides. Drain and set aside.
- In a casserole, sauté garlic in remaining oil until aromatic. Add ginger and continue cooking for 3 more minutes.
- Add water, let boil and add tahure, stir. Add fried milkfish. Make sure that fish is submerged in the sauce. Add vinegar; let boil without stirring. Add fish sauce. Cook for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Canned tahure renders a reddish color to the dish (as seen on the photo), I can’t find fresh tahure here. 🙁
- You can add vegetables like eggplant or ampalaya to add flavor and texture to your dish
Tochong Bangus Recipe,
Incoming search terms:
- tochong bangus recipe
- tochong bangus
- how to cook tochong bangus
- Tochong Bangus Panlasang Pinoy
- tochong bagus
- tochong bangus with ampalaya panlasang pinoy
- tochong tilapia recipe panlasang pinoy