- 1 bundle Sitaw (String bean), cut into 1" strips
- 2 cups of squash, cubed
- 6 pieces okra, cut into 2 crosswise
- 1 whole onion, skinned
- 1 Tomato, quatered
- 100 grams liempo meat, cut
- 1 bundle bataw (Bean pod), cut into halves
- 1 cup saluyot leaves (jute leaves)
- 1 cup ampalaya (bitter gourd),julienne
- 2 pcs. medium eggplant, slice diagonally
- 1/5 cup.bagoong isda juice
- Leftover fried fish or freshly grilled fish
- Salt to taste
Diningding or Dinengdeng is an Ilocano dish of mixed vegetables boiled in a mixture of water and bagoong juice then served with fried (or grilled) fish on top. Grilled dalag is the fish of choice but you can use other fish variety like tilapia or even bangus. I personally prefer grilled than fried fish, the charred taste adds a different twist to the dish.
If the list of vegetable seems overwhelming to you, I trimmed it down, some folks would include kalabasa blossom and malunggay fruit in it, with Diningding, variations are welcome.
Diningding Cooking Procedure:
- Boil 1 liter of water in a large pot along with liempo, onion and tomato, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the juice of the bagoong, use strainer to separate the solid particles.
- Now, add all the vegetables, squash, bataw, ampalaya, eggplant and okra, bring to boil and simmer until squash is tender.
- Season with salt to taste and let it boil for another minute.
- Finally, add the Saluyot leaves and fried (or grilled) fish.
- Serve hot with rice.
Incoming search terms:
- Diningding recipe
- ukoy recipe
- ilokano diningding recipe