- 1 1/2 kilo pork head
- 1/4 cup pork liver
- 2 small onions, minced
- 2 pieces red pepper, minced
- 6 pieces hot chili pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons liquid seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup beef broth
Sisig is a favorite pulutan and appetizers among Filipino foodies, the dish originated in the Province of Pampanga, it was invented by Aling Lucing Cunanan, it was believed that she got the inspiration when she found out that the pig’s heads are being discarded and thrown by American chef’s inside the former US Air Force base in Angeles City.
Aling Lucing utilized these “scraps” to make a brand new dish which she named as sisig, surprisingly, it was loved not only by Pinoys by Americans as well.
Now, the sisig has evolved into several varieties, there are now, tuna, bangus and even chicken (gizzard) sisig that is being served in the restaurants in the Philippines. Although sisig was not originally served in sizzling plates, the dish (well in my own opinion) is best served sizzling hot in a sizzling plate.
How to cook Sizzling Sisig
- In a large pot, place water, pork head, salt and pepper, bring it to boil then simmer for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Once the meat is tender, drain the liquid and grill the pork head ang the liver until done.
- Chop the meat and liver into small cubes, separate the meat from the liver.
- Start heating the sizzling plates.
- In a pan, melt the butter then add the onions. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add the liver and cook until well done.
- Crush the liver while being cooked in the pan.
- Add the chopped pig head then cook for 10 minutes.
- Put-in the liquid seasoning and chili then mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put-in the mayonnaise and mix with the other ingredients.
- Fill each sizzling plate with sisig and crack an egg on top.
- Serve hot with calamansi on the side.
Sizzling Sisig Recipe,
Incoming search terms:
- kapampangan recipe
- sisig kapampangan recipe
- authentic sisig recipe