- 1/2 kg pork tenderloin
- 2 - 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- Pinch of cornstarch
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup warm water, as needed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water or reserved pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
- 3 cups oil for deep-frying
Sweet and Sour Pork is one of the most popular Chinese dish, it evolves into different ways of preparation and even serving. Americans would fry the pork twice for a crispier meat, others prefer to add the fried pork to the sauce before turning off the heat.
My version is a little bit of everything, I sometimes use apple cider instead of the vinegar.
Sweet and Sour Pork Cooking Procedure
- Cut the pork into 1-inch cubes. Marinate in the soy sauce and cornstarch for 20 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, ketchup, dark soy sauce, salt, water or juice and vinegar. Set aside. In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Set aside.
- Peel the carrot and chop on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces. Cut the bell peppers in half, remove the seeds and cut into cubes.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying to 375°F (190°C).
- For the batter, combine the flour and cornstarch. Stir in the egg white and vegetable oil. Add as much of the warm water as is needed to form a thick batter that is neither too dry or too moist. (The batter should not be runny, but should drop off the back of a spoon).
- Dip the marinated pork cubes in the batter. Deep-fry in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the wok. Deep-fry the pork until it is golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- To prepare the sweet and sour sauce, bring the sauce ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrot, green pepper, and pineapple. Bring to a boil again and thicken with cornstarch mixture, stirring. Check the sauce one more time and adjust seasonings, adding salt and/or vinegar if desired. Serve hot over the deep-fried pork. Serve the sweet and sour pork over rice.
Incoming search terms:
- idol sa kusina sweet and sour pork recipe
- sweet and sour breaded pork recipe kusina master