- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 2 tsp purple food color (ube)
- 2 cups water
- panutsa (sugar cane sweet) or mascuvado (raw sugar)
Puto Bumbong is a Filipino delicacy that is ‘traditionally’ popular during the Christmas season. During simbang gabi (misa de gallo or early morning mass), puto bumbong vendors lined up the streets near the church to serve this delicious and filling breakfast for the mass attendees.
Puto Bumbong is made out of ground glutinous rice (traditionally colored with purple food color) and steamed in a bamboo tube (bumbong) until it reaches a sticky consistency, and served with coconut shavings & mascuvado sugar on the side.
I love eating Puto Bumbong with tea.
How to make your own Puto Bumbong
- Soak glutinous rice in water overnight.
- Grind the soaked rice.
- Mix food color while the glutinous rice is being ground.
- Wrap the ground glutinous rice on a piece of muslin cloth and place it in a strainer to drain excess liquid. Another technique in draining excess liquid is by pressing a heavy object that has been placed over the muslin cloth.
- Once the ground rice has slightly dried, rub it against the screen of a strainer to produce coarse grained rice flour.
- The rice flour for making puto bumbong is now ready to cook.
- Fill each bamboo tube (bumbong) with just enough glutinous rice and put them into the steamer. See to it that the steamer contains boiling water.
- Steam rice flour in the bamboo tubes for 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, shake out the contents of each bamboo tube or remove the cooked glutinous rice from the bumbong with the help of a knife.
- Spread butter on the puto bumbong and springkle grated panutsa (sugar cane sweets) or 1 tbsp. of mascuvado (raw Sugar)
- Add a small amount of grated coconut before serving.
Puto Bumbong Recipe,
Incoming search terms:
- puto bumbong recipe
- puto bumbong recipe panlasang pinoy
- puto bungbong recipe panlasang pinoy
- puto bungbong recipe
- puto bumbong panlasang pinoy
- puto bumbong
- kusina master puto
- panlasangpinoy puto bumbong
- puto bung bung
- recipe for puto bumbong